12 January 2006

Wedding Gifts for Being in a Wedding

I was the best man at PlasticKelly's and CelticGypy's wedding (links provided later -- they are found on my hotlinks to the right for those so inclined as Doomsday Kelly and Days and Nights of Nat).  Anyway, it is traditional that a the people getting married give gifts to those in the wedding.

An Aside:  I don't know why, and I'm not sure I approve of the practice.  We live in a capitalistic society and right now, and after Christmas, capitalism kinda pisses me off -- but that's for a later discussion.  (I know that made no sense, but gift giving seems like a practice encouraged by capitalism.  You can link the two statements together now.)  This post is not supposed to be about my complaints about gifts, however, since I am actually very happy with my gifts.  End Aside.

Anyway, PlasticKelly and CelticGypsy (PKnCG from now on) got me a big ole knife as my best man gift.  At first I carried this big ole pocket knife with we everywhere.  Its something like a 3.5 inch blade.  It sounds small, but it ain't -- most pocket knifes are 1.5 inches or smaller, so this one is over twice as large.  But in this modern society of "don't let the terrorists win" I was in constant danger of having it taken from me where ever I went.

What's worse is the new blade is super fun to snap open.  With a flick of the wrist I can draw and open the knife.  I found myself frequently joking with people acting like I was gonna gut them while pulling the blade out super fast.  I found myself at my desk at work flicking it open and closed over and over again while I worked.  All of it combined to make my co-workers a bit nervous around me.  So now I only take it with me every couple of days.  I constantly have to remind myself that it isn't a toy.

But again, the knife isn't why I'm writing this.  The reason is that I got a gift from the groom that I love.  (The gift, not the groom...  Not that I don't love Kelly.  I do, but in a manly way.  No, that's not the way to put it...  Okay, I love Kelly, but I don't want to have sex with him.  You know, normal man-love, not man-on-man love.  You get the picture.)

I had to wear a kilt to his wedding and I couldn't find a decent looking belt for under $100 at the Renaissance faire.  So PK loaned me his.

He's never gonna get that belt back.

Its the best belt I've ever had.  It fits me perfectly and it looks nice with my ratty clothes.  So PK, say sayonara to your belt -- its mine now.  (Chances are he forgot he loaned it to me and thinks he lost it at the faire.)

2 comments:

zhsy00001 said...

THAT's where that belt went!

#############

So, I'm reading the entry and
wondering "Who the h-ll is PK?". ...



Kelly (PK)

Celtic Gypsy said...

You forgot the Kilt Pin and the Necklace.