06 October 2005

In the Early-Middle of the Adoption Process

My wife and I are both infertile. Yeah, yeah I know, too bad for us. We are over it, believe me. We've moved on.

Anyway, when we gave up on the fact that we couldn't have kids on our own, we started looking towards adoption as way to begin a family. Its a mega-annoying way to have kids. The normal way is at least fun tostart off with. Adoption is a huge bureaucracy. Red-tape galore.

I finally finished my personal report on myself. This report is 15 pages of questions like: "How do you handle feeling angry", and better questions like "How will you feel if your adopted child wants to find his birth parents?" Uhg. (And for the record, the answer to both is
"angry".)

Well tonight we are having someone come over and do our home-study. This is where a social worker inspects you, your wife, your property, and then deems us child-worthy or not. My wife is wigging out -- doing things like trimming the bushes out front and cleaning non-stop. Fortunately I like the bushes trimmed and the house clean, so at least I get something out of all this nervous energy. I do not, however, like a stressed out wife. Wife + Stress = Complication. So there are somenegatives to this.

Surprisingly I'm not nervous about this a bit. I don't know why. I usually freak-out in pressure situations. I am the antithesis of steady under pressure. I'll give a full report after the home-study completesthis night.

Oh, and it has not gone un-noticed that this home study corresponds with the choicest Astro's game in months. Fortunately I have Tivo.

No comments: